All the things you'd like to see in NSR
Head tracking (ie TrackIR) support please

Head tracking (ie TrackIR) support please

Postby evilc on Fri Jan 25, 2008 0:38

This game is just screaming out for TrackIR support.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir

4DOF would be nice (Need to be able to look up in loops) but 6DOF would rock!
evilc

Re: Head tracking (ie TrackIR) support please

Postby terranaut on Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:17

i just got one of these trackir4s last week, and yes i think this game would be the perfect match for it. its a very dimensional racing game, and this small thingie would let people look around in 6d while driving. the trackir line it seems been out for years and i couldnt find a bad review on them for racing, so after this week i crave it for racing games now. oh but thats just my opinion, but i hope you guys at least look into them
terranaut

Postby evilc on Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:18

Naturalpoint (The makers of TrackIR) said on the thread that I made regarding NSR on their forums that they were talking to the game developers and hoped to have support soon.

For those without the cash for trackir, check out "FreeTrack" - you can build your own hardware quite easily and it is compatible with trackir games - plus, it is free ;)
evilc

Postby Etienne on Tue Feb 26, 2008 18:05

I've added support for TrackIR in the next update.
But I've left only 3DOF (3 angles). Being able to translate the head has no real use, and it causes a lot of problems (going thru the cockpit for instance).
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby jbalat on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:37

Man you are a legend !

Cant wait to try it out.. When do you expect the next release ?
jbalat

Postby evilc on Wed Feb 27, 2008 14:31

Etienne wrote:I've added support for TrackIR in the next update.
But I've left only 3DOF (3 angles). Being able to translate the head has no real use, and it causes a lot of problems (going thru the cockpit for instance).

Woohoo! By next update do you mean Stage 2 or a patch for Stage 1?

Agreed on the DOF, all I really want is look left/right and up/down. But we have head roll too? Great!

One final thing to ask...
Say I am using bumper view (ie I cannot see any of my car) - is there still a way to tell whether you are looking directly forwards or not? With no frame of reference it might confuse you as to what direction you are actually steering. Bonnet view would solve this though, I just like bumper view ;)
evilc

Postby Etienne on Wed Feb 27, 2008 15:31

I'll be in with the upcomming patch (maybe tonight). But to be usable, the guys from natural point will have to include our game in the supported games... which could be done very quickly if they approve...

evilc wrote:Say I am using bumper view (ie I cannot see any of my car) - is there still a way to tell whether you are looking directly forwards or not? With no frame of reference it might confuse you as to what direction you are actually steering. Bonnet view would solve this though, I just like bumper view ;)

I don't understand your question. :mrgreen:
Etienne

Postby evilc on Wed Feb 27, 2008 16:07

Without TIR, if you are in bumper view (The one where you cannot see any of your own car - the camera is on the front bumper of the car) then you know which way the car is pointing because it is the centre of the view.

If you used TIR in this view, you would have no such cue, because you could be looking slightly to the side. Looking at which way the ground is moving does not give you this information, as you could be in a slide.

I mainly use bumper view for the jump tracks - without it, you cannot see your landing as well because the bonnet gets in the way.

Maybe the best solution would be to have an option to make the cockpit transparent? That way you could still see the ground underneath you whilst in the air but you would have the cockpit to give you a reference as to whether you are looking straight ahead or not.

It's a minor issue, it may not make huge amount of difference, I dunno as I haven't played a racing game with TIR yet. I have DiRT at home, which supports TIR - not played it yet, I will fire that up and see if it suffers from the same issue.
evilc

Postby jbalat on Thu Feb 28, 2008 0:18

dont confuse the issue.. Bonnet view with TIR should be the best..

Most games only allow TIR from inside cockpit view which is very claustrophobic for me but obviously most realistic.

Using TIR without any of the car would make it very difficult to steer in a straight line but may be fun...

I'm happy with whatever the developers are willing to offer ;)
jbalat

Postby Aut0-Lavado on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:36

This game has been suggested to the guy's over at free track lets hope they impliment it. Will be building my own 3 point clip soon so hopefully i wont suffer to much with the simulator sickness. If you can add the "in helmet" view then life would be so sweet.
I survived "Patch gate only to end up in limbo".
Specs: Athlon 6000, 3gig ddr2 667mhz, 2*3870 in crossfire, xfi extreme 7.1.
Aut0-Lavado

Postby Etienne on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:28

I didn't know this free track before you mentioned it, but I will support it as well.
There also a very clever guy who's used a wiimote to acheive the same thing : you'll find the video here (sorry, our forum doesn't support flash yet).
The guys from free track should definetly have a look at this and support the wiimote as an input too.
Etienne

Postby evilc on Thu Feb 28, 2008 18:46

jbalat wrote:dont confuse the issue..

Sorry, couldn't resist, I am a perfectionist :P

Etienne wrote:I didn't know this free track before you mentioned it, but I will support it as well.

Should be no need, FreeTrack is compatible with the TrackIR API - any game that supports TIR supports FreeTrack AFAIK.
evilc

Postby Etienne on Thu Feb 28, 2008 20:02

evilc wrote:Should be no need, FreeTrack is compatible with the TrackIR API - any game that supports TIR supports FreeTrack AFAIK.

Cooool, now that's good news !
Etienne

Postby Aut0-Lavado on Thu Feb 28, 2008 20:52

Yeah i've seen the wiimote thing but you need another hand or a flat head for it. You can run freetrack with a remote as long as it has an exposed led, just set it up for 1 point tracking.

This is the link to freetrack forum and the mention of NSR
http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=608
I survived "Patch gate only to end up in limbo".
Specs: Athlon 6000, 3gig ddr2 667mhz, 2*3870 in crossfire, xfi extreme 7.1.
Aut0-Lavado

Postby Etienne on Fri Feb 29, 2008 0:03

Aut0-Lavado wrote:Yeah i've seen the wiimote thing but you need another hand or a flat head for it. You can run freetrack with a remote as long as it has an exposed led, just set it up for 1 point tracking.

This wiimote project uses exactly the same kind of technology. The wiibar "Sensor" is in fact IR Leds, so I beleive that with very litle work it could be adapted. No need for a webcam and an IR Filter (which I don't have), just a Wiimote and a bluetooth dongle (which I have :mrgreen:).

Aut0-Lavado wrote:This is the link to freetrack forum and the mention of NSR
http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=608

Thanks a lot Aut0-Lavado, I'll have a look. The guy who does free track is french isn't he ?
Etienne

Next

Return to Suggestions / Feature requests