All the things you'd like to see in NSR
Head tracking (ie TrackIR) support please

Re: Head tracking (ie TrackIR) support please

Postby evilc on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:28

I fired up DIRT for the first time last night - and TIR only works in the inside view.
I quite like the way though that you can enable or disable each view, so I could enable only bumper view and TIR view and easily toggle between the two with a button.

I like! Can't wait for NSR with TIR. You didnt say anything about the ETA etienne - any idea on how long we will have to wait before we can get the TIR patch? Will we have to wait for stage 2 or will there be a patch soon?
evilc

Postby Aut0-Lavado on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:31

You don't need an ir filter just rip apart an old floppy and use the disk inside as a filter. Or if you are cheap like me get an old ps2 eyetoy it works really well with out modifications.
I survived "Patch gate only to end up in limbo".
Specs: Athlon 6000, 3gig ddr2 667mhz, 2*3870 in crossfire, xfi extreme 7.1.
Aut0-Lavado

Postby Aut0-Lavado on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:36

evilc wrote:I fired up DIRT for the first time last night - and TIR only works in the inside view.
I quite like the way though that you can enable or disable each view, so I could enable only bumper view and TIR view and easily toggle between the two with a button.

I like! Can't wait for NSR with TIR. You didnt say anything about the ETA etienne - any idea on how long we will have to wait before we can get the TIR patch? Will we have to wait for stage 2 or will there be a patch soon?

You will find that it only works on the "in cocpit" view in most games i have seen it used on the exterior views on some flight sims. But it kinda detracts from the point of using it. It is supposed to enhance the "sim" experience, being able to naturaly look into the corners and check mirrors without having another button to press, or in a flight sim being able to track a plane through a turn.
I survived "Patch gate only to end up in limbo".
Specs: Athlon 6000, 3gig ddr2 667mhz, 2*3870 in crossfire, xfi extreme 7.1.
Aut0-Lavado

Postby Etienne on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45

evilc wrote:I like! Can't wait for NSR with TIR. You didnt say anything about the ETA etienne - any idea on how long we will have to wait before we can get the TIR patch? Will we have to wait for stage 2 or will there be a patch soon?

It's already in the beta that we're proposing in the beta test part of the forum, and I've received a mail from the guy of Natural Point yesterday, they validated it and are going to release an update including NSR in the game list soon.
I'll keep you informed.
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby evilc on Fri Feb 29, 2008 13:24

Sweet, I signed up and will download and test it this weekend. Thanks!
evilc

Postby evilc on Fri Feb 29, 2008 19:45

Woohoo! It works already! I didn't expect it this quick, thanks!

As expected though, bumper view is pretty unplayable - you just have no idea of which way you are going. One idea I had was to render a marker at the centre point (where the car is facing) and another marker in the middle of the view (where you are looking). If the two are on top of each other you know you are looking dead centre.

I suppose a solution would be a big dead zone so you had to really think about moving your head far enough to look, but that ruins the immersion of trackir in my opinon.

I love the new track too - keep up the good work and roll on stage 2 and multiplayer!
evilc

Postby jbalat on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:28

Has anyone had freetrack or Track-IR working with the beta release ?
jbalat

Postby evilc on Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:51

jbalat wrote:Has anyone had freetrack or Track-IR working with the beta release ?

Yes, TrackIR works fine. You need to update game profiles from within the TIR client ("Game Updates"?), but once you do that, it's fine.
evilc

Postby jbalat on Mon Mar 03, 2008 13:29

Thanks,
just found the option under controllers - > other.. Working great now with Freetrack !!
jbalat

Postby Etienne on Mon Mar 03, 2008 20:35

evilc wrote:I suppose a solution would be a big dead zone so you had to really think about moving your head far enough to look, but that ruins the immersion of trackir in my opinon.

In the TIR software interface, you can customize with a curve the relation between the measured angle and the angle the game receive. This way you can put create a dead zone, or introduce a non-linearity if you want.
Etienne

Postby jbalat on Sat Mar 08, 2008 14:13

Etienne, thought you might be interested.

I set up my 4-point freetrack hat as a pp joystick since I wanted to try to hold it like a steering wheel just like a Wii controller.

In the end I went into NSR controller screen and set up turning and acceleration using my head as a joystick.

I used the full throttle (head forwards) position to turn on the boost and head backwards for brake.

Very hard to get used to, but I was able to make it around the track a few times with my hands crossed :D
jbalat

Postby sparf on Sat Mar 08, 2008 15:27

oO , that's just amazing ! I would like to see a video of you playing NSR like this ! :mrgreen:
Sparf - Equipe de développement Game Seed / Game Seed team
sparf

High Score: 140851
Ranking: 39
Profile: sparf

Postby Etienne on Sat Mar 08, 2008 19:17

jbalat wrote:I set up my 4-point freetrack hat as a pp joystick since I wanted to try to hold it like a steering wheel just like a Wii controller.

Interesting !
I'm not sure it's the best way to play NSR tough :lol: !
BTW ,do you need something special to use Freetrack to move the camera or is it just able to plug in TackIR software ? (like I thought of putting a controller selector for the camera movement, it would allow to use a wiimote or any other custom device).
Etienne

Postby jbalat on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:41

In your freetrack profile you just click a box if you are emulating TrackIR, mouse or joystick. Centre your controller (F12) and minimise freetrack. Then just make sure you select trackir in the NSR controller options.

Dont need Trackir software installed. Pretty easy to setup and only cost me $13 to make plus a cheap webcam. Works like a charm in NSR and just got it working in 6DOF mode in IL2. Crazy !!

Its a bit hard to use as a joystick though since you dont have any buttons to map for the other functions. It would be nice to at least accept input from a mouse and keyboard when mapping axes and buttons from the selected controller in NSR ?
jbalat

Postby Etienne on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:49

jbalat wrote:Works like a charm in NSR and just got it working in 6DOF mode in IL2. Crazy !!

Cool, in the next beta update, I've put 6DOF so everyone will be happy !

jbalat wrote:It would be nice to at least accept input from a mouse and keyboard when mapping axes and buttons from the selected controller in NSR ?

Yes I agree, I'll add in the future the possibility to mix controllers, or at least the keyboard and another controller.
Etienne

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions / Feature requests