All the things you'd like to see in NSR
Head tracking (ie TrackIR) support please

Re: Head tracking (ie TrackIR) support please

Postby jbalat on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:33

Thanks again 6DOF is so much better and works a treat..

Just a question... I assume you have seen Johnny Lee's wii video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Just wondering how things seem to be popping out of the screen like that as if he were using 3D glasses.. Is it simply the position from which he is viewing the object from..
ie. In NSR your head becomes the camera. Moving your head means you can see out the side of you car, up and down etc. With Johnny Lee's project it is as though the camera is moved further away from the car and translating your head up down and side to side lets you see the sides and top of the car ?
What is your understanding about the immersive 3D effect that he gets ?
jbalat

Postby Etienne on Mon Mar 24, 2008 21:38

Yes I've already seen the video.

Here's my understanding of the difference between the two methods :
- In Johnny Lee's system, there's a window clipping done with the position and size of the real screen (in real world space). In NSR, there's a clip as well, but it comes from the camera and moves with it.
- In Johnny Lee's system, the camera has the position of the head (in real world space), and he doesn't take head rotations into account (it's always aiming the center of the screen). In NSR the position of the camera is clipped, and rotations are taken into account.

So my conclusion is that the two approaches work and are interesting, but they have different use. I don't think you can use Johnny Lee's system on a racing game type camera.
But I'm sure that the use of a Wiimote can be integrated in TrackIR or FreeTrack, which would be great !
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby jbalat on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:48

When you are bored one day can you try switching to Johnny Lee Mode when looking at a far rear view of the car..
Just try it yourself and let us know how it looks ?

P.S. I imagine this may be after your March deadline on Multiplayer :D
jbalat

Previous

Return to Suggestions / Feature requests