All the things you'd like to see in NSR
HTC Vive support please (or openVR)

HTC Vive support please (or openVR)

Postby John on Sun Jun 19, 2016 21:34

Hello NSR team, I would like you to know that I am really enjoying NSR so far! I've been playing the demo with a G27 steeringwheel and with TrackIR on a big screen.
However what I really want is to play It in full virtual reality with my new HTC Vive. The reason I haven't purchased the game is because I first wanted to buy a better PC, and then buy a HMD.
The key I could've bought, would have been registered on my old PC so that's why I've waited so long.

But now I'm almost ready to jump back in NSR and tryout the other racetracks!

I want to try this game out in VR, so I'm going to try combining TrackIR's headtracking, with my steeringwheel AND either Virtual Desktop or VorpX to simulate VR. But honestly I don't think It will work that well.
Because of two reasons: 1 I'm not sure If Virtual Desktop or VorpX will present the game around my head rather than having a virtual screen in front of me, and 2 the game won't be shown in 3D I think :(

I'm trying to find this out on steam but I haven't yet got any answers. https://steamcommunity.com/app/382110/d ... 107950483/

It would be waaay better If the game had native Vive support, or openVR which works with all HMD's.
Could you please make that happen? It would make me very happy!

Here are some other tips and requests:

1.TrackIr works flawlessy except for one problem: the 'ROLL'axis is inverted. So when you tilt your head to to left, the game tilt's the ingame view to the right. It's not a big issue, because I just inverted the Roll axis in the trackIR software to double invert It and fix It myself. But now you know.

2. You should really put this game out on Steam, especially when you have Vive/Oculus support because at the moment there aren't many good VR experiences out there, so all the headset owners will buy ANYTHING! Just because of the VR aspect. And NSR is actually a great game, so expect alot of new customers discovering It and buying It.

3. I would really like a track editor like in the Trackmania games. I would never ever have to play Trackmania, which doesn't even have a in-car view, ever again If your trackeditor matches theirs.

4. A bit nitpicky but I don't really like the music in the menu, and the game is really loud. I mean the volume is very high compared to the volume of the OS volume. But no big deal.

5. Oh I forgot to mention, If you implement HTC Vive VR support please make It 3D and with headtracking. Roomscale Isn't necessary, though It could be fun to get out of the car and walk on the track to watch the other cars driving through the double loops.

6. Please add online multiplayer. That would be awesome. (Not just scoreboard)

I hope you guys can make It happen. I'm already really impressed by the game so far!
John

Re: HTC Vive support please (or openVR)

Postby Etienne on Thu Jul 07, 2016 16:52

Hi John,

Thanks for all your comments.

1) Ok I'll check.

2) Yes I knoooowww.

3) Me too, but it's a lot of work to do it as we want.

4) I agree music and sound is not the best part of the game. It has been done on a very low budget. Turning down volume is a solution :mrgreen:

5) Of course if we implement HTC Vive or any other HMD, it will be in stereo and with headtracking. We already have the oculus working, we need to port it to 1.3 SDK. I don't know how the HTC Vive SDK works, I'll have to investigate.

6) Multiplayer is already there, have you tried the latest update ? http://www.gameseed.fr/downloads/NitroS ... .2.8.2.exe

Thanks
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby John on Sun Dec 18, 2016 22:45

Hello Etienne,

Could you please give me an update? I especially would like to know how far you are with HTC Vive/OpenVR support and Steam distribution.
I really want to buy this game, but I want to play it in VR sooo badly!
Also I don't want to be annoying but you said in 2008 that you were trying to bring it to Steam. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=283
That's almost 9 years ago o.O;

Maybe if you release it now on Steam with the current VR hype, you'll earn alot of money so that you can further invest in the simulator chairs.
Just a thought.

Sorry If I come across as whiny, but this has been my fantasy since I was little. Being INSIDE a hotwheelscar xP (sortoff)
I'm almost planning to just learn how to make a game myself so that I can achieve this by myself.

That's how desperate I am.
(trackmania never got a in-car view nor headtracking, even know Trackmania Turbo actually has VR support It is STILL third person T_T
Also I like the physics of NSR better and playing it with a g27 is amaszing.)
John

Postby Etienne on Sun Jan 08, 2017 15:43

Hello John,

Thanks for your message and for you interest.

Sorry for the late reply, email notifications don't work anymore on this forum, and it would take quite a lot of time to repair it (I'd rather install a whole new forum).

Anyway I'm currently working on Oculus support, but I really don't know when I'll release an public update, as it's a lot of work (especially testing everything). I had it working with Oculus DK2, but as they changed the SDK (again), I have to redo the work :(
Adapting menus is not as straightforward as the rest, so as a first step it will be an update on the commercial version that is used on motion simulators.
Adapting to steam and steam VR has been put aside for the moment. I know it would make some sales if it was done, but I haven't had a very positive feedback from Valve when I contacted them a few years ago. It would sure make some money, but I really doubt it would make A LOT of money as you said.
Now that greeenlight exists it would make more sense, but still it would need some work, especially on the communication side. Doing a new trailer showing the latest tracks and improvements of the engine takes a lot of time. Since I'm all alone now, it's pretty much risky to spend a few month on this.
I "only" have an oculus at the moment, and considering the cost of other VR hmds, I just can't afford to buy all of them. I'll probably have a look at SteamVR and OpenVR at some point, but I really don't know when. I've started a lot of other games and hardware developments so that's why nothing seems to happen on the NSR side.
But it will happen eventually.
I hope you'll understand.
What VR headset do you have ? (HTC I guess)
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Return to Suggestions / Feature requests