All the things you'd like to see in NSR
A few suggestions...

A few suggestions...

Postby Angelical_1 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:11

Clearly you guys have creativity and vision... my ideas are not by any means original - in fact they are positively mainstream. My reason for suggesting the following is that I believe they could be implimented without detriment (and benefit) to your core design brief. Furthermore, I've no knowledge of how developed your ideas for Stage 2 & 3 are so please excuse the ideas or post if needed.

Ideas -

* Tunnels: Would allow for interesting lighting and engine/thrust sound effects.
* Water: Would give added reason to clear certain jumps (and or maybe the vehicles could skim the surface for a certain distance).
* Road-side objects (destructible?): Would allow for objects to be avoided (minimal damage though annoying & giving reason to swerve).
* Bridges: Bridges to cross over the course / Bridges with gaps (Thinking of Hard Drivin' style)
* Tiered Roads: Could look good seeing vehicles above of below (Jump prior to individual tiers to give time advantage)
* Cross Roads: Carnage cross roads could be a laugh :lol: (Ideally with adequate view to gauge timing)
* Alternate routes: 1 easy one route and 1 very risky router which would save time.

Questions -

1. Why have you chosen to display distances between vehicles in meters/feet rather than time?

2. Looking at some of the Lap/Race times achieved by others I ask, how do they achieve such times? (I believe I'm to the game's limit for the most part however I'm a L O N G way short)

3. Finally, how does the scoring work? (I'm baffled, I played through the championship on easy setting and my score, I would have assumed, would increased upon completion of each race, however it didn't - or not that I noticed - in fact I didn't pay attention to when I achieved my score)

Kind Regards Angelical_1
Angelical_1

High Score: 66324
Ranking: 84
Profile: D-L-G (73)

Re: A few suggestions...

Postby Etienne on Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:12

Thanks for your feedback.

* Tunnels: Would allow for interesting lighting and engine/thrust sound effects.
----> planned for stage 2 (on the Spyro Metal track)
* Water: Would give added reason to clear certain jumps (and or maybe the vehicles could skim the surface for a certain distance)
----> I've already got a working realistic 3D wave algo working, and i'd love to integrate it before stage 3 (needs CPU power though).
* Road-side objects (destructible?): Would allow for objects to be avoided (minimal damage though annoying & giving reason to swerve).
----> planned for stage 3. With wheels and shock absorbers detaching and staying on the road....
* Bridges: Bridges to cross over the course / Bridges with gaps (Thinking of Hard Drivin' style)
----> Yes, we've tried them, but it's very frustrating when you miss your jump. Maybe for multi it will be fun.
* Tiered Roads: Could look good seeing vehicles above of below (Jump prior to individual tiers to give time advantage)
----> Yes, we're trying that too, but it's not so easy to do it wright...
* Cross Roads: Carnage cross roads could be a laugh :lol: (Ideally with adequate view to gauge timing)
----> Yes, I think in multi it will be excellent.
* Alternate routes: 1 easy one route and 1 very risky router which would save time.
---> planned for stage 2, with more than 2 routes....

Questions -

1. Why have you chosen to display distances between vehicles in meters/feet rather than time?
Because it's accurate, time can only be an estimate. At the end, what is important to know is if you're far or not.

2. Looking at some of the Lap/Race times achieved by others I ask, how do they achieve such times? (I believe I'm to the game's limit for the most part however I'm a L O N G way short)
NSR is easy to learn but hard to master, and there are some secret short-cuts to discover. You need to understand how to use the Jet engine, and you need to do mad jumps (most of the time) to achieve good lap/race times.

3. Finally, how does the scoring work? (I'm baffled, I played through the championship on easy setting and my score, I would have assumed, would increased upon completion of each race, however it didn't - or not that I noticed - in fact I didn't pay attention to when I achieved my score)
In fact in championship you've got 2 scores :
- The score you do at the end of the race that you have in every official race in NSR. This score can reach thousands and is a function of many results like your damages at the end of the race, the best lap you've done etc.... Each race score is sent to the server, and results in a ranking, and at the end of the championship all the races scores are added to do the championship score. This is these scores that you see in the online rankings.
- The championship score, which is only a function of your finish position, and that sets your position in the championship. You'll need to have the highest score against your opponents to win the championship. This score is not sent to the server, it's only needed to calculate your position in the championship.
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby Angelical_1 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 17:40

Re: Suggested Features - It's looking like Stages 2 and 3 will be awesome.

Etienne wrote: 1. Why have you chosen to display distances between vehicles in meters/feet rather than time?

Because it's accurate, time can only be an estimate. At the end, what is important to know is if you're far or not.

Yes, I see, makes perfect sense.

Etienne wrote:2. Looking at some of the Lap/Race times achieved by others I ask, how do they achieve such times? (I believe I'm to the game's limit for the most part however I'm a L O N G way short)

NSR is easy to learn but hard to master, and there are some secret short-cuts to discover. You need to understand how to use the Jet engine, and you need to do mad jumps (most of the time) to achieve good lap/race times.

Hmm, I'm ovbiously not as good as I thought... I can't see any secret short-cuts (try as I might flying here and there - Nolo, want to upload a youtube video? :D )... and for those levels that there aren't any I've no idea how it's possible to come 1st.

Etienne wrote:3. Finally, how does the scoring work? (I'm baffled, I played through the championship on easy setting and my score, I would have assumed, would increased upon completion of each race, however it didn't - or not that I noticed - in fact I didn't pay attention to when I achieved my score)

In fact in championship you've got 2 scores :

- The score you do at the end of the race that you have in every official race in NSR. This score can reach thousands and is a function of many results like your damages at the end of the race, the best lap you've done etc.... Each race score is sent to the server, and results in a ranking, and at the end of the championship all the races scores are added to do the championship score. This is these scores that you see in the online rankings.

- The championship score, which is only a function of your finish position, and that sets your position in the championship. You'll need to have the highest score against your opponents to win the championship. This score is not sent to the server, it's only needed to calculate your position in the championship.

I'm still not sure I fully understand the GLOBAL score (the one shown in the members list)...

I understand that each level (at each difficulty) has its own board for scores and times, however, It appears, as far as I can gather from watching my score after each event, that the GLOBAL score is nothing more than whatever highest score is achieved in ANY of the ARCADE or CHAMPIONSHIP levels of (obviously PRO giving the highest score due to being multiplying by 4) and NOT related to overal statistics... OR am I still missing the point? I can't see how Nolo got ~450,000 points (That's what's bugging me :wink: ).

Kind Regards Angelical_1
Angelical_1

Postby Fragle on Tue Feb 05, 2008 20:53

if you do really good time , better than gold medal, you can have more point like 70 000 / 60 000 for exemple

all your ideas are great, and will arrive :) oh yeahhh
for the increasing difficulty and for multi, I think we really need of a respawn placed correctly before dificulties
Mooooove Youuuur Caaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!
Fragle

High Score: 217599
Ranking: 24
Profile: Fragle

Postby Angelical_1 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:59

Fragle wrote:if you do really good time, better than gold medal, you can have more point like 70 000 / 60 000 for example.

Thanks for your reply, yes, I appreciate scores can exceed those specified (I've done so once, but only to the amount of 10,000 or so). I just can't see how it can be done so by such margins, to achieve say, 450,000. Please, may I ask, is there a particular F-Jet and course (and direction) were I should be looking to achieve such excessive scores... OR :roll: a level (and place) where such short-cuts can be found? I'm happy for a PM to avoid teasers for those not wanting such information.

Kind Regards Angelical_1
Angelical_1

Postby Etienne on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:14

Angelical_1 wrote:Hmm, I'm ovbiously not as good as I thought... I can't see any secret short-cuts (try as I might flying here and there - Nolo, want to upload a youtube video? :D )... and for those levels that there aren't any I've no idea how it's possible to come 1st.

Have you seen the latest trailer ?
You'll find some tricks in it...

Angelical_1 wrote:the GLOBAL score is nothing more than whatever highest score is achieved in ANY of the ARCADE or CHAMPIONSHIP levels of (obviously PRO giving the highest score due to being multiplying by 4) and NOT related to overal statistics... OR am I still missing the point? I can't see how Nolo got ~450,000 points (That's what's bugging me :wink: ).

Yes that's it, there's no GLOBAL score as such, it's just the High Score, i.e. the maximum score done in any mode. So the highest score you can get is by finishing the Extended Championship in Pro mode.
If you do a better lap or race time than the gold ones, you can go over 100 % of the max score (which is what Nolo has done).
Nolo's high score is a very good score, very hard to beat. He's obviously a very good pilot...

Angelical_1 wrote:is there a particular F-Jet and course (and direction) were I should be looking to achieve such excessive scores... OR :roll: a level (and place) where such short-cuts can be found?

Yes, each F-Jet has its own characteristics. For example, the Air-XS has a very powerfull aerial handling, and you'll be able to do mad jumps with it. Not all the tracks have shortcuts, but for all of them you've got specific techniques. The goal of the game, when you think you're a good pilot, is to find them to achieve the best times.
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby Angelical_1 on Wed Feb 06, 2008 15:07

Etienne wrote:
Angelical_1 wrote:Hmm, I'm ovbiously not as good as I thought... I can't see any secret short-cuts (try as I might flying here and there - Nolo, want to upload a youtube video? :D )... and for those levels that there aren't any I've no idea how it's possible to come 1st.

Have you seen the latest trailer ?

You'll find some tricks in it...

Only trick as such that I noticed was a clip of a F-Jet which jumped off the ramp, headed right and over some trees. I've yet to located it (not had time to spend any real time watching the latest trailer.

Etienne wrote:
Angelical_1 wrote:the GLOBAL score is nothing more than whatever highest score is achieved in ANY of the ARCADE or CHAMPIONSHIP levels of (obviously PRO giving the highest score due to being multiplying by 4) and NOT related to overal statistics... OR am I still missing the point? I can't see how Nolo got ~450,000 points (That's what's bugging me :wink: ).

Yes that's it, there's no GLOBAL score as such, it's just the High Score, i.e. the maximum score done in any mode. So the highest score you can get is by finishing the Extended Championship in Pro mode.
If you do a better lap or race time than the gold ones, you can go over 100 % of the max score (which is what Nolo has done).
Nolo's high score is a very good score, very hard to beat. He's obviously a very good pilot...

I see... can't wait for the HOLOGRAM feature (if I understand it correctly)... you listening Nolo, :lol: I want that ghostie :lol:

Etienne wrote:
Angelical_1 wrote:is there a particular F-Jet and course (and direction) were I should be looking to achieve such excessive scores... OR :roll: a level (and place) where such short-cuts can be found?

I'd best get some more practice in it seems... oh well :)
Yes, each F-Jet has its own characteristics. For example, the Air-XS has a very powerfull aerial handling, and you'll be able to do mad jumps with it. Not all the tracks have shortcuts, but for all of them you've got specific techniques. The goal of the game, when you think you're a good pilot, is to find them to achieve the best times.

Oh well, looks like I'd best get some more practice.. sigh :wink:

Kind Regards Angelical_1
Angelical_1

Return to Suggestions / Feature requests