If you encounter a problem when playing NSR
Windows 8 64bit

Windows 8 64bit

Postby gadzom on Tue Aug 06, 2013 22:18

Hello
I've downloaded the game and I'm trying to run it on Windows 8 Pro 64bit.
At the beginning I found a problem with openal32.dll, it just didn't exists. So I've downloaded one from Internet. It works, or rather the configuration works. But combobox with sound device is empty. I can open it but it's empty, I can see about 3 empty lines in drop-down menu inside combobox.
When I try to run the game (with administrator privileges, with Windows XP compatibility mode) it crashes with an error message:
Reflect assert!
Reflect Assert Box
----
Cond: FALSE
In file: .\cSoundManager.cpp, at line: 456
And it quits after that.
I suppose it's because I don't see any sound device in configuration window. But I have enabled and working sound device. It works fine in all other applications and games.
What can I do with it?
Thank you
gadzom

Re: Windows 8 64bit

Postby Etienne on Sat Aug 10, 2013 0:19

Hi,

Sorry, I'm afraid the game doesn't support windows 8 at the moment (did you try with the latest version of the game ? (0.2.8.2, found here)

OpenAL32.dll is included in our installer, so I guess MS has (again) done something to kill this wonderfull opensource API if the game doesn't find it.

Maybe you can find a compatibilty option somewhere. We will investigate as soon as we get a hand on windows 8.
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby gadzom on Sat Aug 10, 2013 15:58

Etienne wrote:Hi,

Sorry, I'm afraid the game doesn't support windows 8 at the moment (did you try with the latest version of the game ? (0.2.8.2, found here)

OpenAL32.dll is included in our installer, so I guess MS has (again) done something to kill this wonderfull opensource API if the game doesn't find it.

Maybe you can find a compatibilty option somewhere. We will investigate as soon as we get a hand on windows 8.

Hello
Thanks for your answer.
If Win7 is supported then Win8 should be also. Those two systems aren't very different. I have the latest version of the game (0.2.8.2). I don't know why OpenAL32.dll disappeared from installed game, if you say it should be there. It's weird.
I tried compatibility mode but it doesn't help.
Maybe there is some trick to run the game without sound? If it is possible, maybe I could run the game.

BTW: If this is finished game (I've seen it in shops), why it is still numbered as 0.* version?
gadzom

Postby Etienne on Sat Aug 10, 2013 18:18

I'll get Win 8 next week, I'll have a look to understand why it doesn't work. Even if win 8 is close to win 7, it wouldn't be the first time where Microsoft releases a "new" os with the same kernel but with small differences that make them incompatible (vista and 7 have the same kernel I think).

Anyway there's no trick to run the game without sound.

The reason of the numbering is the following :
Originally we had planned to release the game with 3 f-jets power categories, damages, multiplayer, and some other features. But we never managed to find financing resource to do everything so we cut the development into 3 stages and released the Stage 1. We added more features that were not scheduled before stage 2 (like multiplayer and skin tool), so it should be 0.3.5 like, but since we consider our latest version as a beta, it's still not > 0.3.x. But to be honest, I'm not really taking care of version numbering now. When we'll have all 3 power groups and corresponding tracks (which are already designed and playable internally), spectacular damages and a very stable version, I'll be numbering over 1.xxx. But it may take quite a while to reach that point :mrgreen:

We have begun the development of F1, superkart, GT and other racing categorires, but we reserve it for simulation center at the moment.
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby gadzom on Sat Aug 10, 2013 22:13

Thanks for your explanation, now it's very clear :).

I have good news for you! Finally I've installed the game and it works on Win8. The thing I had to do was installing it again with administrator privileges (right click on exe file and 'run as administrator'). I suppose it's all about that openal32.dll is copied to system directory (c:\windows\system32\). When I was installing it normally, there was no error message, but system didn't let to do it. So there was no dll file and the game didn't work. When I installed some openal32 library it didn't worked as well, but maybe it was wrong version as for your game. So I've uninstalled everything and tried again as administrator. Now openal32.dll is in system directory and configuration shows some audio devices (generic software or something like that). The game works great too!

The game is very good, I really like it! I try to play a little more and will buy a full version as I know now it works well on my computer. It reminds me Trackmania, but I think you should know it. I like Trackmania very much, so NSR will be good for me too. Handling is much better than in Trackmania. If there was a track editor, NSR could be better and more popular than TM! Editors always make games more popular because of players making a community and they shares their work.
gadzom

Return to Technical assistance