If you encounter a problem when playing NSR
Thinking of buying a steering wheel - which one?

Thinking of buying a steering wheel - which one?

Postby Mac on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08

Thread title explains it all.

I'm looking at buying a steering wheel in the hopes that the extra steering control might help me to play the game ... but because NSR has aerial control I don't really know which sort of steering wheel I should get.

I was looking at this - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/thrustmas ... 7-pdt.html - because I'm thinking I should use the paddle-shift for controlling boost (and the manual stick for aerial) but I don't know if they are separate or control the same axes..

But yeah. What steering wheels do you guys recommend for the game?

edit

This one looks good as well imo ... could be wrong. http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/20729256/ ... tails.html

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

High Score: 330786
Ranking: 8
Profile: Mac_Matrix

Re: Thinking of buying a steering wheel - which one?

Postby Etienne on Fri Jul 13, 2012 14:57

We're using Logitech G27. This is IMHO the only wheel you should get if you don't want to spend more than 270 €.
IMHO steering wheels that cost less than 100 € are not worth buying (bad or no forcefeedback, wont last long). But if the goal is to have a cheap analog steering input, that may be the solution until there are filters on analog inputs in the game :mrgreen: .
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby Mac on Fri Jul 13, 2012 15:32

The problem is more that I lack 'feel' for the cars in NSR with the analog pad (also like I said in another thread the 'zone' in which you ordinarily want to steer is very small and correcting mistakes/oversteer in the air-XS is almost impossible even with ESP on High.) The lack of rumble support for Xbox 360 controllers (and rather rubbish rumble support from what I noticed with my Saitek) doesn't really help either. :(

However ... I only have a desk. I don't have space for a gaming seat or anything, and reviews for the G27 recommend getting a racing seat. That said - my main question is "How do you use aerial control?" Or rather what buttons do you map the pitch up/pitch down to? I will probably use the pedals for accelerate/brake/airbrake. I don't have a problem with that.

That said I was looking at Logitech stuff earlier as well.

If you wonder this is what I play NSR (and all games) off of. Excuse the audio. Would it fit and work properly on that desk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82wcGJ7ZdYo

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby Etienne on Fri Jul 13, 2012 23:51

We use the accelerator / brake for pitch up / pitch down. Left shifter for hand-brake+aerobrake, right shifter for boost.

The only thing you need is 20 cm depth and a solid table to attach firmly the wheel. You doesn't seem to be in that case, as it seems the keyboard part can move.
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby Mac on Sat Jul 14, 2012 0:02

Yeah, the keyboard bit moves in/out ... not sure how much of a problem that might be, as the slider-thing on it is pretty stiff.

Not really anywhere else I can put the wheel if I got one.

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby EatmyAss77 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 14:43

And what about the "little table" you got in the kitchen ?...seems to have wheel....
It could become a nice "moving support" for a FFB wheel... :mrgreen:

More seriously...my opinion is that a wheel controler is the best way to play NSR
( or any other race game or simulation ); I don't know if you ever try but it give
you a real "feeling" when you drive, moreover, it give you the ability to take and struggle
trajectory when you negociate a turn...I think you understand, with wheel and pedals,
the driving is accurate, precise, and just think about the full control of throttle, brakes
and the air control... :roll:

So....you'll do what you want about the question, but in the vidéo i've seen, i can tell you
that you are like us...( at least a geek...I can say more...clean your bedroom boy ! :twisted: )
And you seem to be a passionate by race and cars...
Therefore i think you should buy a wheel....and clean your bedroom ! :mrgreen:

I show you my desk, now it's up to you to joke about me and my "geekiness"...
EatmyAss77

High Score: 207155
Ranking: 26
Profile: EatmyAss77

Postby Mac on Sat Jul 14, 2012 15:18

I don't have a table in the kitchen ... only the one in the living room (where my desk is) but it's a glass table so I don't think it's suitable for attaching a steering wheel... I'm guessing I can probably just manually jam the keyboard stand.

And I know how much better racing games are with a wheel. :mrgreen: when I was a kid, I was given a full PSX steering wheel set that had been given to my dad; it had everything except force feedback (ffb didn't exist back in those days..). I used it mostly on Destruction Derby 2 and a game called Total Drivin' ... both games were infinitely much easier with a wheel. :P and back then the desk I had was even worse than the one I have now ... it was a literal garage job with a tiny keyboard stand that the wheel didn't even fit on. :P

and yes, I am a racing geek. Is it so obvious? ;)

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Return to Technical assistance