If you encounter a problem when playing NSR
Crashes to desktop...

Crashes to desktop...

Postby danrexx on Tue May 13, 2008 14:19

Hi!
First off many compliments for such a Great Game...I played lots of racing games but yours gained at once the first place in my list of favorites...An Absolute Jewel ! 8)

The problem is that sometimes the game (HP PC, Vista Home, Quad Core 2,4GHZ, 8600GT 512MB 1GB Shared latest 175.16 Nvidia Drivers, 4GB Ram) crashes during the championship and drops back to desktop....it happened during the browsing of menus between races....

Wouldn't it be good to have the championship automatically saved after every race in order NOT to be forced to play straight a complete championship? If it crashes between races we have to start over again but even without crashes we may wish to stop playing to resume later.... :wink:

Best Regards and...keep up the good works!! :P
danrexx

Re: Crashes to desktop...

Postby SkyRider on Thu May 15, 2008 11:46

Hi Danrexx,

I have a few questions and suggestions which may help.

Have you applied the update 0.2.3.7? (This has solved various issues of the original game download)
Have you download Windows Vista updates? (One particular update addresses issues with Vista and graphics card with 512MB Ram or more)
Has this problem happened with any other games you have?
Have you uninstalled the game & reinstalled? (plus the update)
Have you also uninstalled the graphics drivers, restarted the PC, then reinstalled the drivers?
Also, do you have a lot of programs running in the background/system tray? (Try closing as much as possible in the system tray before running the game to see if it helps, maybe something is conflicting)
SkyRider

High Score: 345600
Ranking: 7
Profile: SkyRider

Postby danrexx on Mon May 19, 2008 16:38

Hi and thanks for your support. :)
Answering your questions:
- Have you applied the update 0.2.3.7? (This has solved various issues of the original game download)
I downloaded and installed the game well after the patch was released so it already was the latest version.
- Have you download Windows Vista updates? (One particular update addresses issues with Vista and graphics
card with 512MB Ram or more)
I've always kept Vista up to date and recently I've even installed Service Pack 1
- Has this problem happened with any other games you have?
Actually with Vista crashes to desktop happen... :( mainly with old titles...so I had many random crashes with
other games... :cry:
- Have you uninstalled the game & reinstalled? (plus the update)
I installed the latest demo that already was 0.2.3.7
- Have you also uninstalled the graphics drivers, restarted the PC, then reinstalled the drivers?
I always follow this procedure carefully and and always do how Nvidia suggests, so I think that I follow it
correctly :wink:
- Also, do you have a lot of programs running in the background/system tray? (Try closing as much as possible in
the system tray before running the game to see if it helps, maybe something is conflicting)
I usually play this game with others running in the background...you know having a quad core processor
somehow allows a multitask envronment....though I see that your game runs a bit slower in this case...
But I'll try to run it alone in the future. :wink:
Actually crashes to desktop didn't happen so many times, thanksfully not enough to be frustrating; furthermore recently I didn't experience this problem anymore...so I keep crossing my fingers! (Who knows, perhaps Vista Service Pack 1...)
Thanks again for your kind help,
Danilo
danrexx

Postby SkyRider on Mon May 19, 2008 17:04

Happy to hear the game is running better for you at the moment :D

Anything running in the background could conflict with other running programs, programs checking for updates etc, including windows update (mine is always turned off, I only do updates manually when I want to).

You could also try checking the NSR CPU process priority and affinity in task manager. After opening task manager, click the processes tab and right click on the NSR_S1.exe. From the menu you can check the CPU affinity (this controls which CPU's in a multi-core processor are used for the game) and assign the CPU priority from Low to Realtime.

I have heard it can be helpful to run background programs on say CPU 0, while running the main program on the other CPU's.

Just one thing to note, during the menu screens the CPU priority on mine is at low, it only changes to normal during actual racing.

BTW, it's not my game, i'm just a big fan and like to help others enjoy it too 8)
SkyRider

High Score: 345600
Ranking: 7
Profile: SkyRider

Return to Technical assistance