All the hot news about NSR
Major update , BETA is Available (0.2.8.2) !

Re: Major update coming soon !

Postby Etienne on Tue Jul 10, 2012 22:16

Thanks a lot for all this. Some of the bugs described were unknown.

My feedback :

Mac wrote:You can send people MP invites? O.o or did I just misread you?

I was meaning sending manually, there's no automatic system the warns you when there's a multi session launched.

Version 0.2.8.2 Bugs (this list is frequently edited):
  • Skin tool Bugs : a lot have been fixed already -> next update
  • F-Jet jets are misaligned slightly : fixed -> next update
  • Motion Blur produces glitchy-looking artefacts in certain situations : we will check that
  • The "m" key does not work in Multiplayer : fixed -> next update
  • There are random stutters / jumps in game and in replays. Has the game recently been coded to utilise multithreading? The game engine is using multithreading from the beginning. These replay glitches are not related to multithreading, they are due to non deterministic problem. Interpolation will be added later to remove glitches
  • In replays, engine sounds only play when cars are very close to the camera : fixed -> next update
  • Not all cars produce smoke or dirt particles : Yes, it's known and will be fixed.
  • The game behaves strangely when played on a dual-monitor setup : we will check that.
  • The cam being used in the screenshot "FollowNear" is otherwise impossible to get in Replay Mode : we will check that.
  • a replay in a replay : I don't understand this one. This menu always appears when you are viewing a replay, instead of the button "Replay" I should put "Open Replay Window"
  • If a car retires during the race, they don't show up on that results screen : I will check that.

Mac wrote:I have FXAA enabled in nVidia Control Panel (not sure if it may be causing any of these bugs ... maybe I should turn it off.) Vsync is turned off.
You could use AA included in the game as it's FXAA as well... Maybe you'd have different results. VSync should not be used except if you have a really powerful video config (or maybe with the latest generation of NVidia that have a sort of adaptative VSync)
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby IceMan on Wed Jul 11, 2012 16:24

Hi it's me again, I tried the demo last night, it loads tracks much faster now, great! But if you recall my Nvidia 7800GS+ had some graphics issues before (viewtopic.php?f=53&t=340#p3965), with the latest version (and latest drivers) I can't use bloom, depth of field, antialias or whatever the other effect was; the 3D graphics show multiple colours (mostly in the distance but partly on the car) and frame rates crash.

Luckily I plan to get a new PC soon with up-to-date graphics!

The game is playable with those effects off though!
IceMan

Postby Etienne on Wed Jul 11, 2012 19:48

Hi IceMan, thanks for the report. I'll have a look on our old ATI card, but I don't think I couldn't reproduce it.
If you can't select those effects it's probably because your card can't handle them :mrgreen:
The most important is that you can play without them.
Etienne

Re: Major update , BETA is Available !

Postby Mac on Wed Jul 11, 2012 21:06

I just installed the game on my laptop (my fairly recently new one which is an old Dell XPS M1730) and it runs fine on that (dual-8800GT in SLI) with no graphics glitches other than the ones I already mentioned (which seem to pertain to the motion blur)

Sounds like the 7800GS+ maybe doesn't support some of the shader model code used in NSR. I'm surprised you still use that card! I think when I first played this game I played it on a 7900GT ... I have a GTX275 now. Technology moves fast. :/

Anyways, @ etienne - the 'replay in a replay' thing was a bit of a joke towards Inception, but also that I think that menu isn't meant to be there. It's supposed to say "Restart; Options; View Replay" instead of saying that, I think. If you click the 'replay' button it restarts the replay over. it's just a strange oddity.

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

High Score: 330786
Ranking: 8
Profile: Mac_Matrix

Postby Mac on Thu Jul 12, 2012 18:38

Actually I take the 'replay in a replay' thing back. It's not a bug. I thought it was just strange XD.

Anyways:

Bug?

When you change the 'reflections resolution' mid-game, the reflection cubemap changes from what it was before to precisely reflect the surroundings at the moment it's changed.

I'm pointing this out because this may be one of two things:

1) The reflection is supposed to be static, in which case the fact it 'maps' its surroundings when the res is changed is probably intentional ... but is just strange to see happen,
or
2) it's supposed to be dynamic (i.e. reflection updates in real-time) in which case it's not working.

I'm thinking it's coded that way on purpose (i.e. when resolution setting is changed it takes a 'snapshot' of the surroundings to use as a static texture) but if it IS supposed to dynamically update on a per-frame or per-second-frame basis then it doesn't work.
Just wondered on it.

Also:

Actual Serious Bug

If you crash and respawn on the loop on Multiplex, the car respawns on its side and cartwheels down from the loop, ultimately resulting in either a wreck from the fall, or the need of a second reset at the bottom of the loop.
If you fix that so the car doesn't spawn sideways then it should be fine.

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby SkyRider on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:44

Hey guys!

I have been checking the NSR website and forum every now and again to see whats happening and now I see you have done an update and what a great update it is.

It working perfectly on my new PC, nice job there!

I also noticed alot of the score/times have were reset so I guess I got some work to do to get my number one spot back.

I was playing last night and can't say I've seen any problems myself so far. If I come across any I will let you know.

See you on the race track sometime :)
SkyRider

High Score: 345600
Ranking: 7
Profile: SkyRider

Postby Etienne on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:26

Hey SkyRider !

Great news you're back, we were waiting for you :).
There's already some challenge on the new records (old records have been scaled down), as you can see Mac has already done a great job...
Also there are some activity online in the evenings from time to time. Stay tuned on the forum to know when we are playing (probably not this week end, as Eatmyass and some of his friends are coming here at Game Seed).
We are in the early beta stage, a new beta is on its way with a lot of bugs corrected.

The new record website is here : http://www.gameseed.fr/records/

See you
Etienne

Postby Mac on Thu Jul 19, 2012 15:29

Sup bro :T

I was wondering when you was going to show up :P especially since I can (somewhat) drive the Air-XS on most tracks now... ;)

Get racing, bro! =D

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby Mac on Sun Jul 22, 2012 15:01

Okay not to rain on anybody's parade or anything (dear GOD do my thumbs hurt right now)

But there are some cuts on Loopings Reverse.

First corner seems to be faster despite it being gravel-trapped at the side to slow down wallriding (I think it's due to the entry speed),
Second corner MAY be faster wallrided but I can get through quick enough just slinging the car through and not hitting anything.
Second to last corner (the right-hand before the last loop) is wallridable due to the red/white striped barrier cutting in over the gravel trap - fullspeed in and turn and you can meet the wall and miss the gravel. Saves a LOT of time.

My best lap doing the track properly is 55.8. My best lap wallriding the first corner and wallriding the second to last corner is 55.2. SkyRider's is 55.1 (I messed the corner before the double loop up pretty bad)
So, unfortunately, they will need fixing. How, I don't know.

It gets me to wonder whether the last corner on Loopings can be wallridden too. I don't do it since the gravel was put there though.

Also for the record the second corner on Multiplex (the one on the dirt) is faster by wallriding, although you have to slow down and tap it otherwise the wall glitches your car. The faster line is to tap the wall after braking and going in then just follow it around (without touching it). Maybe something needs adding to put people off of whacking that wall but being able to 'hug' it as I do is probably preferable.

I can give a demonstration of the 'tap' if you want.

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby Etienne on Sun Jul 22, 2012 21:20

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'm afraid that the only solution to solve this "cheat by wallriding" thing would be to force players to have damages on if they want to register a best last. We've always wanted to avoid that, but at the end of the day I find it not so illogical after all. Do you think this would be enough ?
Etienne

Postby Mac on Sun Jul 22, 2012 22:48

The problem is that I set the times with damages on (and even did a 55.6 on the last lap of the race), so it wouldn't be enough to deter people from using the wallride cheat in qualifying and for one lap in the race (I would say after one lap the car would be too hard to drive - one lap's enough to get 100% damage on the right side of the car)

For the last wallride section, couldn't you just remove the red/white barrier? (that barrier isn't there in the forwards version). That would mean anyone trying to wallride that bit would end up in the gravel and would get knocked around by when the wall cuts back into the circuit. The only other solution would be to modify the boundaries of the outer walls at those points to create a bigger gravel trap, but I can see that would be difficult since it'd involve having to heavily modify the track geometry.

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby Etienne on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:09

Another solution we'll try it to put the same kind of wall texture that we've put in the hairpins of the multiplex. This should solve most problems. I'm thinking also of modifying collisions physics a bit so to loose more speed when wallriding.
Etienne

Postby Mac on Mon Jul 23, 2012 16:05

What do you mean 'same kind of wall texture'?

Do you mean you have textures that have higher friction? (never tried to wallride on multiplex so don't know) but if they would slow down cars trying to bump them then I guess it would work.

edit

Having just attempted to wallride the hairpin in Multiplex I see what you mean. xD
the car didn't so much slow down ... more it spun around.

for the hairpin on loopings I think that would work. it would probably work for the red/white barrier as well although that particular wall on multiplex is hella glitchy (my car tried to drive through it which is why I spun) although it does the job of deterring hitting it.

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby Etienne on Mon Jul 23, 2012 16:15

We have several types of "physcial materials" that we can assign to graphical materials. These have different damping, friction, etc...

The bouncy slowy type of wall I'm talking about :
Etienne

Postby Mac on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:49

I kinda figured that out the hard way, after hitting that at 150mph and getting stuck in it haha.

It'd definitely stop the wallriding imo. Might be a good idea to see what other corners on other tracks that sort of deterrence might be good to apply to.

I'm wondering on whether globally increasing wall friction would be feasible as well ... I'm not sure. I think SkyRider's opinion on this might be a good one to hear because I don't know if he has the same sort of racing line as me (I try to avoid walls where possible). Actually I think anyone else's opinion on it would be good.
It's just I'm aware that overly aggressive wall friction might in the future make it too difficult for players to pass on tracks like Loopings, but obviously we need the deterrent on the sharp corners to stop people 'cheating' them :/

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

PreviousNext

Return to News