All the hot news about NSR
Major update , BETA is Available (0.2.8.2) !

Re: Major update , BETA is Available !

Postby Etienne on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:23

We've already tried to increase wall friction without modifying the code, but it makes cars spins too easily when colliding with too much angle.
This is because our collisions with wall are based on a point-to-triangle intersection. To improve realism, I should also do triangle-triangle tests (costs much more CPU) and also implement car deformation (planned for the future).
So the only way to do this is too "cheat" with physics by reducing the speed when hitting a wall. But I think putting the dampy-sticky material will be enough for the moment.
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby IceMan on Tue Jul 24, 2012 13:30

Mac wrote:Sounds like the 7800GS+ maybe doesn't support some of the shader model code used in NSR. I'm surprised you still use that card! I think when I first played this game I played it on a 7900GT ... I have a GTX275 now. Technology moves fast. :/

Yep, though the 7800GS+ is effectively a 7900 chip (it detects it as 7950, but they're all still old cards now). I can't go much better as I only have a Pentium4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition, with AGP slot, running XP, but I plan to upgrade at some point (though whether it's before Win8 or not I'm not sure now)!

Still, the game is smooth enough for hot-lapping with everything except the 4 special effects turned on :-)
IceMan

Postby Mac on Tue Jul 24, 2012 19:14

It's not one of those 'two GPU in one' cards is it? don't know, but wondering if that might have anything to do with it.

Etienne wrote:We've already tried to increase wall friction without modifying the code, but it makes cars spins too easily when colliding with too much angle.
This is because our collisions with wall are based on a point-to-triangle intersection. To improve realism, I should also do triangle-triangle tests (costs much more CPU) and also implement car deformation (planned for the future).
So the only way to do this is too "cheat" with physics by reducing the speed when hitting a wall. But I think putting the dampy-sticky material will be enough for the moment.

Maybe. I think trying to keep away from wasting CPU resources is the best thing.

You could always try and send me a 'test' version with the changes and I could see if they work or not before you commit to it. Although that depends if it's going to be troublesome to do or not.

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

High Score: 330786
Ranking: 8
Profile: Mac_Matrix

Postby IceMan on Wed Jul 25, 2012 14:22

Mac wrote:It's not one of those 'two GPU in one' cards is it? don't know, but wondering if that might have anything to do with it.

Not as far as I know. It was the best AGP card you could get (512MB) when I bought it (limited edition), read about it here: http://www.mvktech.net/content/view/3368/39/
IceMan

Postby Mac on Wed Jul 25, 2012 17:00

Seems a lot better than the old 7900GT I had ... which I blew up when overclocking it to 550Mhz lol. granted it had next-to-no cooling due to my old computer being garbage but ... eh.

But ... well, it's strange. Here's a question: what shader models does it support? It could be just some rendering methods used in NSR that the card doesn't correctly support. It could also be the graphics drivers, but it's coming across to me that the card might not have very good shader 2.0 support (although back when I first played the game it only used shader 1.1 I think lol.)

If you're having difficulty with frame rate though ... turn shadows to Medium. I found through fiddling on my laptop (2.5Ghz dual-core core2duo and SLI 8800GT) that changing shadows to Medium from High changes the fps from about 25 to 55 o_o everything else seems to make next-to-no difference (even motion blur doesn't seem to change fps for some reason).

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby IceMan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 14:33

Mac wrote:Seems a lot better than the old 7900GT I had ... which I blew up when overclocking it to 550Mhz lol. granted it had next-to-no cooling due to my old computer being garbage but ... eh.

Not sure how it compares to 7900GT proper, but according to wikipedia it supports Pixel Shader 3.0 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_7_ ... 800_GS_AGP as do all the GeForce 7. I can run pretty much most recent DX9 games except for the odd one (Shift 2 Unleashed gradually covers the screen in black squares lol).

Still never mind, will get top end Nvidia thing when I upgrade. Not sure if that'll be soon or post Win8 tho...
IceMan

Postby Mac on Thu Jul 26, 2012 15:29

Hm. :/

IMHO I would stay away from W8. Not unless you're planning to buy 'for the future' in terms of directx12 or whatever, but it's only very recently that games have started using DX10 as a minimum (and W7 supports DX11) ... my impressions of W8 are poor, too. I would just get a good copy of W7 64-bit and a good 600-series nVidia GTX and a core i7 and some good amount DDR3 RAM and be done with it for the next four/five years ;)

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby IceMan on Fri Jul 27, 2012 15:23

Mac wrote:Hm. :/

IMHO I would stay away from W8. Not unless you're planning to buy 'for the future' in terms of directx12 or whatever, but it's only very recently that games have started using DX10 as a minimum (and W7 supports DX11) ... my impressions of W8 are poor, too. I would just get a good copy of W7 64-bit and a good 600-series nVidia GTX and a core i7 and some good amount DDR3 RAM and be done with it for the next four/five years ;)

At the risk of going too off-topic, I've had a play with Win8, can't say I like it totally, but the Windows Store on there will bring Hydro Thunder Hurricane to the PC and I bet it'll be Win8 app only. As might some other things in future. So it's not just for DirectX compatibility. I was locked out of DX10/DX11 as I'm on XP, so getting a new PC so near to Win8 launch don't want to end up being stuck again (or installing loads of games, upgrading, and finding it's a bit of a mess!).
IceMan

Postby Mac on Fri Jul 27, 2012 18:14

IMO Microsoft would be foolish to make things 'windows 8-only' so early in its lifespan, as it would alienate far too many people who will simply not be bothered or not have the ability to upgrade to the new OS just to play a W8-only game or app.

As you can tell XP's been out since 2003-ish? Only a few months ago did new games finally drop DX9 compatibility (so in other words for 9 years games kept XP compatibility). I don't see them making such mistakes ... I don't see them making W8-only software available for a few years at the least.

Then again these guys came out with Vista, so I could be completely wrong. /offtopic

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby Mac on Mon Oct 14, 2013 21:56

Wow ... it's been a long time since I posted here.

But that's because I finally found where my license key was to install the game since I got a new computer a few months ago =P though I've lost all my car skins and can't remember which ones they were (will probably just look at some old videos)

However, I just wanted to ask, has there been any progress or updates to the game since the 0.2.8.2 beta release? I'm just curious to know what's been going on since I haven't seen any talk on the forums in a long time :)

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Postby IceMan on Thu Oct 17, 2013 23:32

No news as far as I can tell. A year and a half ago there was a cool pic of dust clouds on Game Seed's Facebook page, see https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Game-S ... 5333564750 but it's all quiet since the Take Off beta release.
IceMan

Postby Etienne on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:37

Hi guys,

sorry for not giving a lot of news. As usual we're not very good at that :mrgreen:

Game Seed is still alive, but we've been focusing on simulation centres (and motion platforms) to propose a complete race pack including NSR, F1, SuperKart, and also soon Snow races, and a lot of other things :D

Even if we're not focusing on a public update of NSR, we're still improving it. There's been a lot of technical enhancements since the latest Take Off update, "unfortunately" for the moment if you want to try them you'll have to go simulation centers like ours (Lyon), or Ellip6 (Pierrelatte (France), Forest (Belgium), and I hope some other centers soon). NSR on a 6 DOF simulator (with 25" maximum motion) is, as you can imagine, the madest simulation experience you can have at this point.

Here are some links about this :

Video of NSR on Ellip6 6 axis simulators : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZQqAapvzvg

Buying or renting ellip6 simulators : http://www.e6lab.com/

Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/ellip6

Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/ellip6
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby Mac on Fri Nov 08, 2013 18:15

Ah, well that's both a shame but at the same time good news that you're keeping busy.

Unfortunately for me I'm both too tall and too heavy for the simulators, I would break them (or myself) xP

Still going to look forwards to any future updates for the game. My steering wheel is still alive and kicking :)

- Quote Of The Moment
Mac

Previous

Return to News