NSR main forum
Stunt Car Racer

Stunt Car Racer

Postby mururoa on Mon Dec 31, 2007 13:16

Hello,

How much was Stunt Car Racer a source of inspiration for Nitro Stunt Racing ?

PS : salut de Lyon
mururoa

respect for Stunt Car Racer

Postby sparf on Mon Dec 31, 2007 17:35

Hello Mururoa

Stunt car racer inspiration was the start point of our project. We all remember this game as a great experience and a challenging gameplay.

So we said : "ok, we need a cockpit view, jumps, destroyable cars and boost". That was the start, and our goal is to enrich this concept with many new elements and driving styles.
Sparf - Equipe de développement Game Seed / Game Seed team
sparf

High Score: 140851
Ranking: 39
Profile: sparf

Postby mururoa on Tue Jan 01, 2008 15:22

That was a game yeah :)
Now that you get more than 300x the power that takes to run SCR I hope you will make good use of that.
I tried the demo and so far so good.
It's a VERY limited demo btw.
mururoa

Postby evilc on Fri Jan 25, 2008 0:36

Finally someone has done a worthy remake of SCR.

I bought this game within minutes of playing the demo, I knew I had finally found the one!
evilc

Re:

Postby Angelical_1 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49

evilc wrote:Finally someone has done a worthy remake of SCR.

I bought this game within minutes of playing the demo, I knew I had finally found the one!

Same here evilc. As soon as I played the demo it it reminded me of a game I used to play on my Amiga A500 many moons ago, called Stunt Car Racer (which I'm now aware, from reading was THE influence for this game - DAMN, and there was me thinking I was the only person who remembered that game). I'm realy looking forward to the 2 further stage updates, they should make this game one I'll come back to for years to come.

Kind Regards Angelical_1
Angelical_1

High Score: 66324
Ranking: 84
Profile: D-L-G (73)

Re: Stunt Car Racer

Postby YardWasted on Sat Apr 05, 2008 17:50

Yep--Stunt Car Racer was one of,if not my favourite game on the trusty old Amiga!!

A few recreations of those roller coaster tracks and jumps would be fantastic.

That old game is still the only game ever created that gave me a feeling of vertigo while in the middle of the air!!
YardWasted

Postby jams002 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07

that is an cool trick but so dangerous to do for those amature driver for racer!!

Stunt Car Racer amiga emulator and some thoughts

Postby mjello on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:18

If you want to relive the glory days. Try out the amiga emulator with stunt car racer.

http://www.winuae.net/

http://team.back2roots.org/News/Find/?f ... +car+racer -- seems like the adf is not here anymore
http://www.freeroms.com/download.php?ti ... e_id=10808 finally .. was harder to find than i thought

There is a million abandonware amiga games out there.

It requires some tinkering and patience but it works.

I would love some nostalgic recreations of some of the tracks (Rollercoaster, High Jump, Big Jump) in stunt car racer. Maybe not as part of the main game. But as a track pack. Doesn't need too much time consuming fancy graphics. And the concepts are there free for the taking.

However I guess the tracks for NSR in general are extremely complicated to create. So maybe your hands are too full for this one right now.

I'd say the tracks that are made, are extremely well made but that was the one thing that left me hungry for more. A lack of diverse tracks.

But i guess the whole concept behind this game is a bit unusual. Instead of programming for years to make the full game and sell it at the full price. You guys made a third of a game to a third of the price, and then plans on selling the game in stages. And you really payed attention to good gameplay. A real rare quality in games during the gfx revolution. But I feel its about to change.
mjello

Postby mjello on Sat Jun 20, 2009 14:50

How could i forget the stepping stones lol. The draw bridge. The nigthmare circuits hehe.

Just spend an hour in a nostalgic ruse. This game is still as fun as it was created. Pure gameplay, no gfx. Well almost hehe. Was big time back then.

If you could somehow give me the tools to recreate these lvl's for nitro. I would do it for my own pleasure. It would be dead simple recreating the tracks without much gfx. Allthough it would take hours and hours of testing to get the feel just right. The vertigo.. The jump-points.
mjello

Postby Etienne on Sat Jun 20, 2009 23:08

The tools needed to do a track are not really the problem, you'll "just" need 3DSmax, some kind of photoshop and an example scene.
But all the constrains around this to make a really complete track is another story. So without a proper tutorial it would be nearly impossible.
And the other problem is that we need to integrate the concept of "Mod" into the game before anyone can do his own circuits and f-jets.

But that's not what we're proposing at the moment. As you said, we are taking a unusual road to do our game. Game Play has always been our major concern, because we know that it's what makes an unforgettable, fun game. Of how many racing game do you remember the tracks names, even 20 years later ? How many you said ? One ? Ok I believe we're thinking oh the same one :mrgreen: (if you didn't guess, this game is called Stunt Car Racer).

We don't have many tracks in NSR (well, that have been released), because we polish them so much that you could think (and some people do) that we're mad. But game play is not science, or if it is, it need a lot of time to tweak.

New, even madder, tracks are comming. Stay tunned :)

P.S.: Welcome to another AMIGA Fan !! AMIGA POWWAAAAA
Etienne - Ai-Wave / Game Seed Developer
Etienne

High Score: 98915
Ranking: 59
Profile: Zorglub

Postby pinpin2lux on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:24

Pffffft ... ATARI have always been way better than amiga !!!
ATARI RULEZ ! :P
Mieux vaut ramper dans le bon sens que courir dans le mauvais
pinpin2lux

High Score: 240447
Ranking: 19
Profile: schupin

Postby Etienne on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:40

Pffff, ATARI was cheaper and it had a midi port, which were its only advantages (but it was a very good machine too :mrgreen: )
Etienne

Postby EatmyAss77 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:19

+1 like Schupin...ATARI BoOM BoOm PoOWaAAA !!!!
EatmyAss77

High Score: 207155
Ranking: 26
Profile: EatmyAss77

Postby Etienne on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:28

Here we are, another thread that finished in this endless debate between Atari and Amiga :D. I think this debate is useless nowadays. Especially considering that today's machine architectures have been inpired by them.
Etienne

Postby Almac on Thu Oct 21, 2010 22:33

Heh. Another one here that spent hours on Stunt Car Racer back in the day (and has had it on an Amiga emulator for about 10 years as well). I also slapped down the money for NSR after one lap of the demo. You guys rock.
Almac

Next

Return to General NSR discussion